In a dramatic development, Israel has declared war on Hamas, setting the stage for a major military operation in Gaza. This decision follows an unprecedented assault by Hamas that resulted in the deaths of over 700 Israelis, marking the deadliest day in decades for the nation. Tanks and personnel carriers have been mobilized near the Israel-Gaza border as the long-standing conflict between the Palestinians and Israelis takes a dangerous turn.
- “Is Insidious based on a True Story” Debunked – Digging Deep into the Film’s Real-life Inspirations
- Understanding what was Israel Before 1948: From Ottoman Rule to the British Mandate
- Exploring Why Israel and Hamas are Fighting: Unpacking the Recent Escalation
- 23andMe Lawsuit Claims Inadequate Security Measures, Exposes Genetic Data
- 3 Reasons for Divorce in the Bible: An Overview – Unpack Scripture-Based Grounds for Separation
Summary of Israel Declares War
|Declaration of War||Israel declares war on Hamas following a surprise attack by the Islamist militant group.|
|Death Toll||Over 700 Israelis have been killed with over 400 Palestinians also losing their lives in the conflict.|
|Response||Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vows for “mighty vengeance” and prepares for a “long and difficult war.”|
|Hostages||Hamas claims to hold over 100 Israeli hostages, including high-ranking officers.|
Israel Declares War: A Deeper Look
The Israeli government has declared war on Hamas following a surprise attack by the Islamist militant group. The assault, which has resulted in over 700 Israeli casualties, is the deadliest for the nation in decades.
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed retaliation, warning his country would take “mighty vengeance” and was readying for “a long and difficult war.”
- Hamas claims to be holding “over 100” Israeli hostages, including high-ranking officers, and continued to fire rockets into Israel.
- Over 400 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza as Israel responds with airstrikes in the densely-inhabited enclave.
We are at war.
We will protect our citizens.
We will not give in to terror.
We will make sure that those who harm innocents pay a heavy price.
— Israel ישראל 🇮🇱 (@Israel) October 7, 2023
Escalation of Conflict
Over the weekend, Hamas launched thousands of rockets from the Gaza Strip into Israel, making direct hits on multiple locations inside the country including Tel Aviv. Armed terror groups also entered Israel and infiltrated military bases, towns and farms, shooting at civilians and taking hostages.
In retaliation, Israeli forces clashed on the ground with Hamas fighters and conducted airstrikes on Hamas-associated locations. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) reported striking over 400 targets in the small enclave, including 10 towers used by Hamas and numerous terrorist squads surrounding the Gaza Strip.
The conflict comes at a moment of deep division in Israel, months after the country’s right-wing government pushed through a contentious plan to reduce the power of the country’s courts, sparking a social, political and military crisis. Western states condemned the Hamas attack and pledged support for Israel while Arab states called for calm.
As the fighting continues, the humanitarian crisis worsens. Palestinian authorities have reported that 78 children are among the dead, with an additional 2,300 others wounded. Israelis are also sharing photos of friends and family who they say have been kidnapped by Hamas militants.
The Future of the Conflict
Looking forward, the Israeli government has decided to stop the supply of electricity, fuel and goods to Gaza. However, Hamas has warned against measures in Gaza, alluding to hostages held in the area.
As the conflict escalates, the international community watches with growing concern. The war declaration by Israel marks a significant turn in the long-standing Israeli-Palestinian conflict, bringing it into uncharted and dangerous new territory.
1. Why has Israel declared war?
Israel has declared war in response to a surprise attack by Hamas that resulted in the deaths of over 700 Israelis.
2. How many casualties have been reported?
Over 700 Israelis and more than 400 Palestinians have been reported dead in the conflict.
3. What has been Israel’s response to the Hamas attack?
Israel has retaliated with airstrikes and ground operations against Hamas-associated locations and is preparing for a “long and difficult war.”
4. What is the humanitarian situation?
The fighting has resulted in a worsening humanitarian crisis with many children among the dead and thousands wounded on both sides. Numerous hostages have also been taken.
5. What is the international response?
Western states have condemned the Hamas attack and pledged support for Israel. Arab states have called for calm in the region.
Disclaimer: This article is written by John Nay and his views don't reflect those of PredictGov. We don't guarantee the accuracy Use your own judgment before relying on it. All images are copyrighted to their respective owners. For concerns, use our Comment Box or Contact Us form. We're not liable for any losses or damages due to this content.